Bluetooth headphones are the best way to enjoy a console gaming experience. You can wirelessly chat with your team or route the audio through them to avoid bothering other people in the room with you.
PS4 owners can connect almost any Bluetooth headphones model to take advantage of the wireless benefits through the operating system.
Xbox One owners are not so lucky. There is no official option available through the operating system to take advantage of this gameplay need.
With a little ingenuity, you can solve this problem. You’ll need a third-party device to serve as a bridge between your Bluetooth headphones and your Xbox One connection.
How to Connect Bluetooth Headphones to Xbox Series X or One
Connecting your Bluetooth headphones to the Xbox Series X or Xbox One is a straightforward process. What trips people up is that you must create the connection through the wireless controller instead of the console by using a third-party transmitter.
The Xbox One console doesn’t support the native use of Bluetooth headsets.
You must have a wireless audio Bluetooth transmitter with a 3.5mm jack to provide your gameplay with this feature.
Once you have your equipment, follow these steps.
- Insert your Bluetooth transmitter into the 3.5mm AUX port on the Xbox One controller. You’ll find it on the bottom of the unit underneath the arrow control mechanism.
- Turn the transmitter on by following the manufacturer’s instructions for the product. Most of them work by holding a button on the unit for 3-5 seconds.
- Wait until you see flashing LEDs, another visual signal, or an audio cue that indicates the transmitter is working.
- Turn on your Bluetooth headphones.
- Press and hold the pair button on your headphones to have it start searching for the activated transmitter.
- You will know when it is successful because a flashing light turns solid, or you receive an audio cue from your equipment.
Once you finish these steps successfully, your Bluetooth headphones are now connected to your Xbox One through the controller. You can enjoy all the gameplay functions at that time.
It is essential to remember that following this connection only lets you listen to the chat that happens during a game. You cannot participate in any online conversations with this transmitter bridge.
That’s why it is only recommended for one-player situations or when you don’t need to participate in the chat.
Why Doesn’t the Xbox One Use Bluetooth?
The Xbox One’s controller design should receive Bluetooth signals. Microsoft decided to disable this feature from the console because of interference issues.
Although Bluetooth is a convenient way to listen to music or audio from a PC, it doesn’t always translate to practical playing opportunities.
Unlike the PS4, the Xbox One has more wireless connectivity issues to manage, making Bluetooth use less viable for the console.
The wireless signal from the console can support eight controllers and headsets while offering less than 8 milliseconds of latency.
PS4 players have fewer connection options since their console only supports four simultaneous players, enabling more Bluetooth opportunities.
Interference is another issue that affects Bluetooth connections. The technology always looks for new devices.
If anyone came near the Xbox One while you were playing it with an enabled smartwatch, phone, or tablet, their presence would impact the bitrate received.
That means your controls would have less responsiveness.
Microsoft would also be stuck conforming to the Bluetooth Special Interest Group’s standards, which is outside of the company’s control.
By using the Xbox wireless signal instead, players have more flexibility.
That’s why you can get headsets and laptops with Xbox Wireless instead of Bluetooth.
Why Does My Xbox One Controller Say That It Has Bluetooth?
When you purchase an Xbox One today, you have the choice to use a wireless controller with or without Bluetooth.
If you’re unsure of what model you have at home, the Bluetooth option has the plastic around the Xbox button as part of the controller’s face. When it doesn’t support this technology, the plastic is part of the top with the bumpers’ location.
You still connect to your Xbox One by using the console’s wireless technology. Although the controller is Bluetooth-enabled, it doesn’t support attachments.
That means you can’t use chat pads, headsets, or the Xbox Stereo Headset Adapter.
What you can use Bluetooth for in this situation is to connect to another device, such as a PC, for playing games.
You’ll want to keep these things in mind while managing that connection.
- Bluetooth requires the latest Windows update to work with your PC’s operating system.
- Updating your controller will encourage a better overall performance.
- Connection reliability is dependent on the Bluetooth card being accessed.
- You can typically connect just one Xbox controller through a Bluetooth connection successfully.
■ What about Bluetooth and Xbox Cloud Gaming?
When you purchase the Xbox Game Pass, the companion app allows you to enjoy cloud gaming. This gameplay happens on an Android device and not the Xbox One console.
That means you can connect your controller to your Android mobile device to play games through the app.
You can activate this feature with the appropriate controller and Bluetooth pairing to your preferred device.
Best Bluetooth Transmitter for Xbox One and Series X?
Bluetooth headphones make playing Xbox games fun and convenient. You’ll want this transmitter to create that result, unless you want to go the native route, in which case, you should definitely check out my post on the best Bluetooth headphones for Xbox One and Series X.
When you use this transmitter with your Xbox One, it can freely choose your headphones during the connection process.
You can move between devices with the LED screen to avoid the wrong device. Several push-button commands on the bottom of the unit allow the user to have a completely custom experience.
The dual-link feature allows two simultaneous streams, and it automatically connects if you use the same device each time.
It comes with a 100% money-back guarantee, a two-year warranty, and low latency.
The TOKSEL Bluetooth transmitter comes with 15 volume levels for the ultimate comfort while chatting or playing. It plays for about 18 hours on a single charge, while only needing about three hours to start over.
You’ll receive an RCA cable in addition to the 3.5mm AUX in the box.
Are Bluetooth Wireless Headsets Useful for Gaming?
Bluetooth technology has made significant progress in its consistency and quality since its initial introduction.
If you’re thinking about using headphones with your Xbox One, it is essential to review this option’s pros and cons.
■ List of the Advantages of Bluetooth Headphones
- You receive more playing convenience with Bluetooth headphones compared to the wired counterparts. There aren’t tangling cables to manage in the middle of a game. Wired products are more susceptible to irreversible damage around the cord, which is an issue that disappears with this setup.
- Newer Bluetooth headphones don’t have the same problems with latency. Even when paired to a transmitter connected to your controller, the gameplay audio stays synced to what you see. You don’t have the frequency hopping to manage as you did in the past.
- The range you have with Bluetooth headphones is significant. You can typically play games within a 30-foot radius, which is more than enough for the controller in your hands. The risk of experiencing interference from this issue is minimal.
- Most Bluetooth headphones have an excellent battery life. The same fact holds true for the transmitter you’d use for the connection. Although it takes about three hours to charge, most models provide all-day playing opportunities.
■ List of the Disadvantages of Bluetooth Headphones
- Bluetooth headsets typically cost more than what you’d pay for a wired model. The high-end products in this category are well over $200. They might offer flexibility, but it comes at the expense of potentially another Xbox One. Excellent wired sets can be under $50.
- You can still experience latency issues. The best way to avoid this issue is to pair a proven transmitter/receiver to your controller with an excellent set of earbuds or headphones.
- Interference can stop you from hearing the audio from your Xbox One. It may have static, interruptions, or complete silence. There isn’t much you can do to solve this issue when it happens except to try turning your devices off and then on again.
- You don’t have all-day gaming with a Bluetooth setup for your Xbox One. Your battery will eventually run out. Since you must manage a transmitter/receiver and your headphones through this process, it isn’t always easy to remember to charge two items after you’re finished playing.
Should I Be Using Bluetooth Headphones?
If you’re not already using Bluetooth headphones, you may want to experiment with this technology first to see if you like it.
It is useful to get the wires out of the way. If you get tangled up in your controller during a tense moment, disconnecting your microphone can disrupt the entire gameplay sequence for everyone.
You can experience the same problem by going out of range of your Bluetooth transmitter with the Xbox One.
Since the only time you need a cord with Bluetooth headphones is to charge your battery, it is a convenient way to enjoy gaming. You get the freedom of movement you want without as many restrictions.
The best Bluetooth transmitter will help you achieve the results you want. Get your equipment, boot up your favorite game, and earn your victory.